A friend of mine recently came to me with a bloggy question.
Basically, she wanted to know what the best things were to do when it came to starting a blog. “Give me your blogging tips for beginners!” she exclaimed.
Having been in the blogging game for a little while, and being a web developer by day she assumed I would know, or have some sort of be-all and end-all list of things to do when starting a blog.
It stumped me for a while, but I managed to get some blogging tips and “to-do’s” over to her, with help from other bloggers, and I thought I’d share them here for an easy reference, for blogger new and old.
- Get a logo sorted
- Use the colours and fonts from your logo in your blog look and feel
- Write an About page
- Figure out your main blogging categories and stick to them
- Set up a blog specific email address
- Set up blog specific social media accounts (ideally all with the same usernames for easy finding)
- Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Bloglovin, Tumblr, etc etc.
- Write a disclaimer about your blog, images and content
- Set up Google Analytics, and Google Adsense
- If you’re going to be doing collage blog posts, create a template and stick to it – for consistency.
- Create a watermark for your images
- Get in contact with the best blogging communities in NZ
- Email relevant PR companies ad ask to be added to their email lists
I think checking this list off while you are in your first month or so of blogging will definitely get you on the right track.
Even if you’ve been blogging for years I think this list is a good one to come back to and see if you need to go through and update any of them
Do you have any suggestions or anything do add to this list?